Top Rated And Best Hitch Mounted Cargo Carriers 2017
When packing for that big weekend camping trip, hunting excursions, sporting events, work materials or any other trip, it seems there is usually one more item to add to your list. With kayak and canoe mounted on the roof, small gears stuffed in the back and other essentials stocked in every available space, finding the space to fit extra goodies can be tough. The best solution is not to leave your luggage behind; the answer is to carry it with a hitch mounted cargo carrier. With the right cargo carrier, you can ferry all your essentials even across states conveniently. Most cargo carriers feature reflectors, easy mounting process, and large carrying capacity to suit your needs.
How to choose a hitch mounted cargo carrier
With the right guide, choosing the best cargo carrier is a breeze. When you are ready to buy a hitch mounted cargo carrier for your transport needs, you may compare several brands to determine the one that best suits your needs. However, there are several factors that you need to consider before making a choice.
- Carrying capacity: Most hitch cargo carriers have a carrying capacity of 500 lbs while others accommodate 300 pounds of cargo.
- Dimension: You should ensure the cargo carrier is large enough to suit your needs and mount to your vehicle without being too close to the exhaust.
- Construction: Hitch cargo carriers feature steel, aluminum construction or a blend of the two. You should choose a brand that is sturdy to suit your transport needs.
- Lighting system/kit: Some cargo carriers come with optional lighting system allowing you to travel at night or on dark roads.
- Ease of mounting: while some hitch cargo carriers feature a simple mounting mechanism others require more than one person to set up and mount.
- Reflectors: The availability of reflectors is an essential feature since it ensures safety when hauling your valuables along the road.
- You also want to consider the design, ease of cleaning and weight of the cargo carrier.
CURT 18153 Basket Style Cargo Carrier
If you are looking for extra space, the CURT Basket Style Cargo Carrier is a great choice. With a carrying capacity of 500 lbs, this cargo carrier will suit different needs. Heavy duty steel construction ensures durability. 6-inch tall sides enhance the security of your precious cargo. This cargo carrier is simple to mount and comes with built-in reflectors to ensure safety on the road. You will find it very valuable when you want to carry large luggage in a convenient way.
- Rear hatch opens and closes with plenty clearance
- Simple setup and mounting
- Sturdy mesh base
- Huge carrying space
- 6-inch tall side enhances security
- Holds up to 500 pounds of cargo
- May require more than one person to mount
- Relatively bulky
- 2-inches folding shank
- 5/8-inches hitch pin included
- 6-inches tall sides for extra security
- Heavy-duty, all-steel tubular design
When you want to carry large luggage for hiking, weekend out or regular travels, the answer is CURT basket-style cargo carrier. This cargo carrier is hitch-mounted for a convenient storage space to your vehicle. You can carry up to 500 lbs of cargo thanks to the generous storage space. The sides are 6 inches high to ensure the security of your valuables. If you choose the folding shank, you will appreciate the convenience of folding the carrier when not in use. It features a strong mesh base to offer a sturdy base for your cargo. The mesh base also makes the unit simple to clean debris and spills. With a carbide powder finish, this cargo carrier is built to face elements. The carbide finish makes it rust and scratch resistance, so you are sure to use it for long. The built-in reflectors add visibility to ensure safety on the road.
The CURT cargo carrier is ideal when you want to carry valuables of up to 500 lbs. It is even great if you want to use different vehicles since it can be mount on a variety of truck, car, van, SUV or crossover.
CURT 18110 Cargo Carrier
The CURT 18110 Cargo Carrier offers you extra space to ferry toys and equipment you require. You can rely on this cargo carrier when you want to go for a camping trip or want to haul cargo to a different state. Carbide finish is a promise of durability and toughness. The mounting holes make it simple to install a cargo net or bungees for extra security and protection.
- 2-piece design for quick assembly
- Mesh base for simple cleanup
- Mounting holes for bungees or a cargo net
- Carbide finish for durability
- Light-weight and solid
- Doesn’t use a standard hitch pin
- It may be wobbly if not fixed well
- 1 1/4 inches fixed shank
- 2 inches adjustment increments
- 2 piece unit assembles fast
- Hitch pin included
If you want a huge carrying capacity, this cargo carrier may not be a good choice. But if you are looking to haul about 300 lbs, you may want to try it. It features a sturdy base and 6-inch tall sides to ensure your cargo is safe all through. At only 16 pounds, this cargo carrier is lightweight and ready to mount to virtually all small vehicles including pickup trucks. Its two-piece design simply bolts together for easy assembly. So users note that they can assemble it in less than 20 minutes. It comes with the hitch pin for the convenience of mounting.
If you want to carry your cargo safely and in style, the CURT cargo carrier is a choice worth considering. It has a large carrying capacity, simple to assemble, clean and features carbide finish for durability.
Tricam ACC-1F Hitch Mounted Aluminum Cargo Carrier
The Tricam Cargo Carrier offers a suitable and simple way to increase your vehicle’s carrying capacity. A capacity of 500 pounds is meant to make your road trip more predictive. You can ferry camping essentials, sporting or hunting equipment and more. It’s designed to offer an ample storage space to suit your next trip. A distinct feature of this cargo carrier is the aluminum construction that makes it lightweight. If you choose this unit, you will enjoy up to one-year limited warranty.
- Aluminum construction makes it lightweight
- A blend of steel makes it sturdy
- 50 by 20-inch offers extra storage
- Reflectors enhance safety on the road
- One-year limited warranty
- Holds up to 500 lbs of cargo
- Durability issues due to aluminum construction
- Its proximity to rear vehicle exhaust may be unsafe
- Ultra light aluminum and steel construction
- 50-inch by 20-inch storage platform
- 500 lbs capacity
- Mounts to any vehicle with 2 inches receiver hitch
- One-year limited warranty
If you want extra cargo space, the Tricam Cargo Carrier is a great choice. It’s a simple and convenient way to expand your car’s cargo space for your road trips. Steel and aluminum construction makes this cargo carrier lightweight and sturdy. With 50 by 20-inch storage space, you can use this carrier for camping trips, sporting events and other needs. Forget your usual cargo carrier; the Tricam is easy to use. It features one-step assembly to ensure you mount it with ease. You can carry a cargo of up to 500 lbs so you will not have the hassle when ferrying relatively heavy valuables.
Tricam Cargo Carrier is sturdy, lightweight and simple to mount. It’s meant for those who want to haul heavy cargos without much hassle. The large carrying capacity and presence of reflectors make this cargo carrier safe and suitable for every road trip.
ROLA 59502 2-inch Steel Cargo Carrier – 2 Piece
With a small budget, you can get the ROLA steel cargo carrier to secure your valuables on road trips. Even though it is relatively heavy, installing this cargo carrier is a breeze. It features a steel construction making it strong and durable. The optional lighting system offers you the convenience of carrying your cargo on dark roads. You will appreciate the design as it mounts some distance from the exhaust. You will also realize that loading and offloading this cargo carrier is simple.
- Steel construction for durability
- Optional lighting system for night travels
- Ideal for mounting to different vehicles
- Simple to assemble, mount and load
- Highly affordable
- You have to pay more for the lighting system
- It doesn’t fold up to the vehicle
- High capacity and sporty look
- Rise shark elevates cargo platform above exhaust outlet
- Attachment points to move vehicle license plate
- Dimension 56 by 23 by 5.25 inches
- Optional functional lighting systems
- Five-year warranty
The ROLA cargo carrier offers a new way to ferry cargo on road trips. It features a lighting system that ensures safety and expedient of hauling cargo at night. A curved hitch mount design improves ground clearance as you drive around. Steel construction and black powder coating make this carrier long-lasting. It is simple to install and comes with a five-year warranty.
The ROLA cargo carrier is great if you want a high capacity and sporty look. It allows you to relocate vehicle license plate and comes with an optional lighting system. When you chose this cargo carrier, you will enjoy a five-year warranty.
MaxxHaul 70108 49 x 22.5 Hitch Mount Aluminum Cargo Carrier With High Side Rails
The MaxxHaul Cargo Carrier is designed to offer you years of service. It’s engineered to ferry your excess luggage safely all the way. Due to its sturdy nature, you can use this cargo carrier on mountain terrains. The hitch receiver makes it suitable for any vehicle. Hence, you don’t have to worry about your vehicle model. With this cargo carrier, you can transport up to 500 lbs of cargo. The aluminum construction makes it lightweight yet sturdy to withstand heavy weight.
- Large carrying capacity of 500 pounds
- Huge cargo platform
- Mounts on a variety of vehicles
- Corrosion resistance
- Simple to install
- It may not reach the hitch receiver if you have a spare tire mount at the back of the vehicle
- Relatively costly
- 500 lbs distribution weight
- Outer size: 49-1/4 by 22-1/2 by 7-1/4 inch
- Inner size: 47-1/4 by 20-1/4 by 6 inch
- Aluminum basket ensures corrosion resistance
- Lightweight extruded aluminum construction
The MaxxHaul cargo carrier can mount on a variety of vehicles including trucks, SUV’s, Vans RV’s and more. This carrier is designed to handle 500 lbs so you can ferry your camping and fishing equipment. It features aluminum construction for corrosion resistance. The aluminum construction also makes it lightweight. A huge inner basket size offers extra space to haul large valuables such as skating board or fishing roads. You can also carry other toys and equipment.
The MaxxHaul cargo carrier is lightweight, corrosion resistant and sturdy. Although it lacks features such as lighting system, you will appreciate its sturdy nature and large capacity.
Pro Series 63153 Rambler Hitch Cargo Carrier for 2-inch Receivers
Whether you want to transport bikes, gear or camping equipment, the Pro series rambler cargo carrier will serve your needs. This cargo carrier features 5.5-inch side rails to keep your in place and secure. This aspect eliminates the cases of luggage lose. Other excellent features about this cargo carrier include ease of cleaning, rust-free, durable and incandescent light kit.
- 5.5 inches side rails enhance cargo security
- Rugged mesh for ease of cleaning
- Rise shank for improved ground clearance
- Powder coat finish ensures durability
- Lighting kit for safety at night or dark roads
- It doesn’t come with a hitch pin
- It’s relatively bulk
- Robust 500 lb
- 5.5-inch side rails for cargo safety
- Rugged mesh floor for simple clean-up
- Fits 2-inch vehicle receivers
- 2 piece construction
- Powder coat finish for durability
This cargo carrier features a solid construction and powder coat fishing making it long-lasting. The curved design ensures a safe distance between the carrier and vehicle bumper. You can use it with different vehicle models thanks to its adaptable design. Its design also offers plenty of clearance. With a straightforward setup and mounting, you will be ready to ferry your cargo to the next destination.
The Pro rambler cargo carrier is ideal if you want to use it with different vehicles. It’s rust and scratch resistant, comes with a light kit and allows you to transport 500 lbs of cargo. You appreciate its design if you want to transport bikes, gear, and other valuables.
Frequently asked questions
- What is the carrying capacity of a hitch cargo carrier?
- Most cargo carriers support up to 500 pounds, but small models hold about 300 lbs.
- Can I mount a hitch cargo carrier to my SUV?
- Yes, a cargo carrier is meant to mount to most small vehicles including vans, SUVs, and pickup trucks.
- Does a cargo carrier come with a hitch pin and clip?
- Almost all cargo carriers come with a basic clip and pin.
- Why do I require a cargo carrier?
- A cargo carrier is a good piece of equipment when you want to ferry valuables or other equipment. You can use it when going for sporting events, camping trips and more.
Transporting large cargo can be hard especially if you have limited space in your vehicle. With the best hitch cargo carrier, you can haul your valuables conveniently. Apart from ferrying your items during a camping or sporting trip, you can transport your valuables across states.
We hope this hitch cargo carrier review and buying guide will help you make a good choice.
cargo carrier, hitch mounted cargo carrier, mounted cargo carrier, top rated mounted cargo carrier, best cargo carrier reviews.